If you received an email from us stating that your sample was not sufficient to provide a quality result, then there are a number of reasons why your sample may have failed. Typically, samples fail because of poor collection technique. Please make sure to thoroughly read the collection instructions included on your StrateGene collection kit.
Here are the most common reasons why your sample failed:
- Not enough saliva. You may have the collection filled tube with bubbles to the black line and not saliva.
- Drank too much water prior to spitting or swabbing so diluted the DNA concentration
- Ate prior to collection so contaminated the sample
- Didn't chew check prior to spitting so not enough DNA collected
- Didn't snap shut the lid well enough to release reagent to protect DNA
- Didn't close the lid soon enough after saliva collection so DNA got damaged
- Didn't shake the sample for 30 seconds after closing lid so DNA got damaged
- Touched the cheek swab to another surface and contaminated it.
- Took too long to mail the sample after collection. Ideally, collect samples FIRST thing in the morning (before food and drink) and ship them the same day.
Reach out to Seeking Health and let them know your sample failed. Seeking Health will ship out another collection kit for you. You will need to activate this new kit, with the new tube ID, using a new username.
Do note that we incur significant lab and supply costs for these failed samples. We do not charge you as a courtesy for the second attempt.
Be sure to follow the precise collection directions on the box because if it fails again, then we will not be able to process your sample as a courtesy.
If the second attempt fails again, and you want to try a third time, we will need to charge $150 to cover expenses. Again, follow the sample collection instructions exactly as described and read the reasons why your sample may have failed.