According to Dr Lynch, SAMe is a compound that can do many things. The body will use it as it sees fit, just like many nutrients, and we cannot control where it is going to go.
Here are some possibilities (as it's not possible to know all of them) written by Dr Lynch, of why SAMe may have increased agitation and excitement when taken as a dietary supplement:
- SAMe worked on various methyltransferase enzymes and resulted in increasing SAH and homocysteine levels. Vitamin B6 and TMG would resolve this if this was the reason.
- Magnesium deficiency. SAMe needs Magnesium in order to support the COMT enzyme. Consider magnesium malate or magnesium glycinate.
- Methylation cycle slowed as MTR and/or MTRR enzyme or BHMT or all three not opened as well as should be for various reasons. Liposomal glutathione and/or PQQ would help open this up if this was the reason - along with many other things. Check your StrateGene Report or Pathway Planner to see all the things which could impact MTR/MTRR and BHMT.
- CBS gene upregulated due to increased SAM levels which may have increased sulfites and thereby released glutamate in brain. Molybdenum would resolve the anxiety and agitation if this was the reason.
- SAMe methylated some key genes which breakdown various neurotransmitters. Often times, methylation turns off genes.
Dr Lynch states that a good way to support agitation or excess excitement after taking SAMe, is to talk to your healthcare professional about consuming 50 mg of niacin every 20-30 minutes until agitation ceases. You may also talk to your healthcare professional about consuming Lithium Orotate in 5 mg doses, or Magnesium as magnesium malate. All of these nutrients, lithium orotate, magnesium malate and niacin, help to support NMDA excitation in the brain. Dr Lynch calls this the SAMe Test. Here is more information about the SAMe Test:
This is discussed a bit in Dr Lynch's book, Dirty Genes. WWW.DirtyGenes.com