5-HTP Extended Release provides 200 mg of L-5-hydroxytryptophan designed to slowly release over a few hours providing a consistent and sustained amount of the active ingredient in the body. The 5-HTP capsules provide faster delivery of a lower 50 mg dose of 5-HTP. The lozenges, which break down higher in the digestive tract and faster than the capsules, might be best for individuals who are looking for a "quick-release" form of 50 mg of 5-HTP. They also are a great option for individuals who have trouble swallowing capsules, or who have trouble breaking down capsules during digestion. The form you choose will depend largely personal preference, or if you are able to consult with a healthcare professional or naturopath, we recommend using the form that he or she suggests.*
Articles in this section
- What are 5-HTP capsules derived from?
- What is the expiration date on 5-HTP capsules?
- Do 5-HTP capsules contain corn or grain-derived ingredients?
- Are 5-HTP capsules suitable for vegans and vegetarians? If not, why?
- Are 5-HTP capsules safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
- Can 5-HTP capsules be used for children?
- Are there any side effects or precautions with taking 5-HTP capsules?
- Are 5-HTP capsules free of magnesium stearate?
- Do 5-HTP capsules contain sulfur?
- What is the difference between the extended release, capsule and lozenge form of 5-HTP? Which should I choose?