These are two completely different compounds. SAMe is S-adenosyl-L-methionine. It helps maintain healthy glutathione levels and supports healthy moods and healthy joints. It also acts as a methyl donor, involved in the synthesis of certain neurotransmitters, such as epinephrine. 5-HTP is L-5-hydroxytryptophan, an amino acid derivative that is a precursor of the specific neurotransmitter, serotonin. Like SAMe, it may also help support healthy moods. However, benefits specific to 5-HTP include supporting a healthy sleep cycle, which has implications for a healthy appetite and healthy stress levels as well. For most healthy individuals, these products can be taken together. We always recommend that you consult a primary care physician/health practitioner of choice when considering the use of any products for health purposes, especially when undergoing treatment for an existing condition, before adding any new supplement to your regimen.*
Articles in this section
- What are 5-HTP capsules derived from?
- What is the expiration date on 5-HTP capsules?
- Are 5-HTP capsules gluten-free?
- Are 5-HTP capsules soy-free?
- Do 5-HTP capsules contain corn or grain-derived ingredients?
- Are 5-HTP capsules suitable for vegans and vegetarians? If not, why?
- Are 5-HTP capsules safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
- Can 5-HTP capsules be used for children?
- Are there any side effects or precautions with taking 5-HTP capsules?
- Are 5-HTP capsules free of magnesium stearate?