Generally speaking, you will still get some benefit when taking an encapsulated supplement without the capsule. Some probiotics may lose their strength depending on your stomach acid level, and the strain of the probiotic. Dr. Lynch recommends the following practices when taking capsule contents without their capsule.
- Take after a meal as this raises stomach acid pH and may prevent die off.
- Get a spoonful of something smooth like apple sauce, place the powder on top, and cover with more smooth food.
- Place in your mouth and swallow. Do not chew.
- Take a sip or two of water to wash it down.
- Do NOT mix in a smoothie or other beverage. You will lose the contents of the capsule to the side of the glass or blender.